School holidays at home

It seems irresponsible to travel during a pandemic when we're desperately trying to eradicate a highly contagious and damaging virus from the world. So it's holidays at home. I've taken a week off work and have zero plans and today was...

My eldest kid, Fred came into the lounge with a backpack on and commanded I close my computer, get my shoes and a jacket because we were going on An Adventure. How could I say no?

We headed off on foot and I figured it might be a long walk because they had packed a lunch and worn good walking shoes. I prepared myself for a long day. We stopped in the park at the end of our street.

Fred looked around to make sure we were alone, then ran over to a rather plain-looking tree on the far side. "This is Mama Chaos" I was informed and then Fred showed me how to greet the tree respectfully. Once Mama Chaos indicated her approval to Fred, we were allowed to enter under the canopy which reached down to the grass and enter a hidden 'treehouse' underneath.

Fred was at right home, hanging the backpack on a bent branch 'hook' and ducking some leaves to sit along a low strong branch. The 'couch' I was told. We spent our time playing home, climbing and 'spying' on passers-by from our hidden den. It was a spectacular day.

I didn't think there were too many places in this world Fred knew and I didn't, but I was wrong. The capacity children have for exploration, curiosity, uncovering hidden nooks and crannies - it's just fucking delightful. And if I hadn't let Fred take the lead it could have been another predictable day, probably with screentime and cleaning in between spurts of play. An Adventure is much better. 

Note to self: more Adventures, please.

Comments