Bike Hate in Melbourne


I've owned my own bicycle for just over a year now. A vintage model, European style, made for travel rather than speed, with a wicker basket on front. I bought it for aesthetics more than anything since at that point I didn't even know how gears worked.

The first time I took it out for a spin I had an accident out the front of my house. We live on top of a hill so all roads lead down. I got my bike out, bag in the wicker basket, iPod and speaker in there too playing something upbeat and bicycling-y like Ash Grunwald. I positioned myself on the footpath, facing down the hill and put my feet to the pedals. Two meters later (still in front of my fence) I decided the incline was too steep, I was going too fast, and squeezed the brakes hard with my dominant right hand. I learnt quickly that the right-hand brake controls the front wheel as it ground to a stop, pushing the whole bike up behind me and myself over the handlebars.

 Not even one full second of bicycling and I was on the pavement with ripped jeans, a bleeding knee, and upside-down bike and my belongings scattered everywhere. I was 30 years old but felt like I should scream and cry like a child. But big girls don't cry, right? Picked myself up, went inside to change my clothes and I was back on the bike in no time. This time was easier as I realised I had to be a little bit fearless and trust in myself and my bike. And brake with the left hand first.

I remained a sporadic and nervous rider until I went on a couple of Pushy Women rides last year. Riding in a large group was a huge boost in confidence. We rode on roads that I would never have approached otherwise. I learnt biking road-rules, and gained heaps of friendly advice.

After the Pushy Women experience I decided to become more of a cyclist. I cycled to the shops for my weekly shopping, to the farmer's market once a month, and even to the city a few times (that's about 30kms!). Suddenly my bike was with me everywhere. If I had to run errands around town I would take the train in then shirk the trams and buses, instead biking all over. It is a wonderful way to travel and also a great benefit to health and environment. There are no negatives.

Well, okay that's not true. The negative side was that suddenly, for no other reason other than my riding a bike, people that I didn't know started being horrible to me. Now those who know me will know that I'm a bit of a goody two-shoes. I'm painfully law-abiding, do a lot of community work, and generally have a "can't we all just get along?" attitude. This is annoying for some but what they hey, it's how I've been made.

Point is: I'm not a reckless person or a jerk. Yet I've found myself swearing at people and flipping them off on my rides because one person can only take so much before they snap. Random people have started being cruel to me and it's making me hella angry.

Things I have had happen (often multiples of these in one day):
  • Heckling from people that I should keep off the footpath
  • Heckling from drivers that I should keep off the road
  • Drivers travelling close behind me, revving their engine, beeping their horn, then zooming off - I can only guess the intention is to scare
  • People screaming at me from cars as they zoom by
  • People throwing garbage at me from their cars

The first few incidents really upset me. I wasn't sure what I had done wrong, or how I could change my behaviour to avoid these aggressive attacks again. As time passed I realised this happens to all cyclists. Doesn't matter if you are lycra-clad pro or a mother with baby on back, people will scream hate at you as you go by. Every rider has the same stories to tell.

Where I live, in the Eastern suburbs, the speed limit is 70kms (but a lot of people speed) and bikes are rare, many cars are not keeping an eye out. When they do spot you, they're frustrated by having to slow down and go 'round. There are no bike lanes. It's really unsafe. But to abide by the law I must put myself in peril and tolerate the attacks.

Where does this hate come from? When did people start hating bicyclists so much? What makes people think it's okay to act this way? It's baffling.

Next time I go riding I may just put my GoPro on back and film a video of all the hate. These are not just young bogans in fluoro vests, I've had grandmas yell at me too. It's time to name and shame these people.

Meanwhile, I'm going to join some bicycling groups and donate to lobbying groups. Yes, it's made an advocate of me. No one should have to suffer the abuse and humiliation that cyclists are copping. It makes no sense that people can like you sans bike, then hate you the minute you mount. Something has to change.

If you have any suggestions for me, please post in the comments below. Or maybe you have your own cyclist-hate story to share. Or perhaps you are someone who likes to abuse cyclists and can explain your point of view. All comments and perspectives are welcome, but be nice to each other.

From my perspective: we need safer cycling routes and we need to fight the hate. That is all.

Comments

  1. I've found pedestrians often more rude that motorists: approaching a major CBD intersection downhill on a bike not unlike yours (read: no lycra!) the traffic lights turned amber and I had the choice of speeding up and hurtling myself in front of an oncoming tram or applying the brakes and stopping abruptly at the bottom of the hill. I chose the latter and stopped right in front of a group of pedestrians waiting to cross just as the signal bleeped. A man in front had to side step my front wheel to cross the road. "F'ing C****!" he yelled out to me as he did. I'm sorry - was I supposed to splat myself under a tram to save him the 'inconvenience' of stepping 30cm to left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon you get that reaction when you startle someone - maybe it's the 'fight or flight' reflex. Most people seem to react aggressively in that sort of situation.

      Delete
  2. I'd be less annoyed by cyclists if they followed the road rules. You're either a vehicle or a pedestrian - you can't be both.

    I'm sure it's a case of a few bad eggs, but they've put me in danger as a pedestrian, and almost caused collisions while I've been driving due to their negligence.

    And you should have to pay rego too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you equally as annoyed by motorists who don't follow road rules? Probably not.

      Annoyed or not, road rules broken or not, trying to run people over, verbal abuse and throwing objects at people is unacceptable!

      Delete
    2. If the law means placing yourself in danger then something has to change.

      Common sense prevails in the everyday. I'm not about to put myself in peril just so I can say "I obeyed the law". That gives me no solace if the worst happens and I'm hit by a car.

      Delete
  3. Does paying rego apply to schoolkids? And if your argument is related to road funding, leaving aside the fact that rego doesn't cover bugger all, what do you have to say about the majority of cyclists who also own cars and thus do pay rego?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't have a problem with cyclists not paying rego - most of them own cars too. However they MUST have rego plates fitted. A one off cost to buy a rego plate should be part and parcel of owning a bike. We MUST introduce laws that do not allow cyclists on roads legally without a visible means of tracking them down when they do the wrong thing and hurt other people. There is no argument against this. Any cyclist who does not want visible rego plates wants to remain invisible on the road and the only reason for that is so they can harass people and break the law. It happens. I see it weekly.

    And yes, of course I care about motorists obeying the rules too. I do. Including leaving cyclists a wide berth, even the arsehole ones.

    We are talking here about cyclists and what they can do to make people hate them less. This is one measure that would work. It would ensure much better behaviour from cyclists and the ability to make them accountable for their wrongdoings. There is no downside.

    Lobby for cyclists to have to display rego plates it if you are cyclist and want to improve your standing in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please read the Adelaide University study here: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/four-in-every-five-crashes-between-cars-and-bicycles-caused-by-driver-of-car/story-e6frea83-1226581475412 and UK Department of Transport study here: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study. - and there are other resources such as this http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/almanac-safety.html

    I'm very curious to know why you believe bicycle rego plates will help drivers pay more attention and not cause 79% of all crashes with cyclists?

    Let me be 100% transparent - I am a regular commuter cyclist and I love it. I also own four cars and shoulder my share of the tax burden. I want to get home safely to see my wife and kids - I don't want to die on the roads. I know I will lose any physical argument with a car, motorbike, truck or bus and so I ride accordingly. After all, a crash means a trip to the panel beater for you, amd. But it means a trip to hospital for me.


    Yes - there are a percentage of numb-nuts on bikes. Heaven knows, there's a couple I see regularly that I'm glad aren't driving because they're absolute shockers. Balance that against the drivers that are on the 'phone, eating, drinking, fiddling with the radio and generally not paying attention and it's clear why crashes happen and why bike rego won't help reduce that.

    As a motorist, please challenge yourself about cyclists. As we've seen cyclists don't cause crashes. Cyclists don't cause traffic jams: (www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0jax7qjE0) and as of last year's count, bicycles make up 14.7% of all traffic entering the Melbourne CBD (http://styleshespoke.com/877/14-7-of-vehicles-entering-melbourne-cbd-are-bikes/). Time to et used to bikes and learn to live with them because the number out on the roads is going up, not down..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incidentally, my standing in the community is determined by my ability to think through an argument as opposed to spouting poorly considered, ill-informed knee-jerk reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-30/australia-plays-catch-up-modern-urban-planning-bike-lanes/5488538
    This is the reality of cycling in Australia. It's getting more and more popular and the infrastructure is being built to support that because "it makes financial sense". Awesome!

    Suck it, haters. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment